Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Gray Day


It’s dark in the house right now.  And I don’t mean just the lighting…

This is another of those days that is so cloudy that it seems like perpetual twilight.  I need my sunshine!  I get so depressed and lethargic on days like this.  But I can’t afford to be lethargic today, I have so much to get done.

I was watching “Hoarders” on TV earlier.  I really have mixed feelings about that show.  My mother, who was so proud of her clean & well-decorated house when I was growing up, has become a hoarder in the last decade.  And when I’m depressed, which is apparently most of the time, I let my house go….  I’m a lot like my mother in many ways and I’m scared that I may turn into a hoarder someday.  Maybe that’s why I’m so fascinated by the Tiny House movement.  If my home was only a couple hundred square feet, I’d have to get rid of most of my stuff, and I’d *have to* keep it tidy.

I’ve been dreaming of building my own house on a trailer.  It could be exactly the way I want it, totally customized to my personality and my tastes.  I think I have some really good ideas for space-saving furnishings that would make it feel much more spacious than a travel trailer or one of the Tumbleweed Tiny Houses on wheels.  And the greatest part is that I’d never have to worry about being homeless.

Homelessness is a new worry for me, since I’ve been unemployed for over 2 years now.  I am totally dependent on my husband’s income.  And what if he got laid off, divorced me, or (God forbid) died?  I couldn’t even pay one month’s rent.  I would have to move in with my hoarder mother!  Or perhaps move in with my very-elderly grandmother, but what about my pets?  I really empathize with the thousands of people who have lost their homes and are struggling in a relative’s basement, or even worse, living in a van down by the river!  (See, even in the midst of my depression, I can joke a little.  I think that’s what keeps me sane.  Well, *mostly* sane, anyways.)

 
I really need to ask my husband about life insurance…  I think his company provides a small policy as part of his benefits package.  But last time I checked (which is when we were both working) I think his beneficiary was his mother.  We might want to get that changed….

What can I do to make this gray feeling go away today?  Well, for starters, turn on some lights!  I actually have some really cute lamps (thanks Target and Lowes!)  Taking off my husband’s flannel shirt and getting in the shower would help too.  Sometimes my depression is so bad that I forget basic things like daily showering & brushing my teeth.  It’s pretty embarrassing to admit that!  When I was working, no matter how depressed I felt or how late I got out of bed, I never left the house without doing those two things and putting on clean clothes.  But now I have neither routine nor motivation… 

Okay, I have a bit of a routine.  I get out of bed at some random time in the morning, either because my husband getting ready for work woke me up, or because my little dog wants to eat / go potty and keeps licking my face and/or whining.  I throw on yesterday’s clothes, which are conveniently located in a pile at the side of the bed.  And I carry the dog out to the back yard, then back into the house and slowly watch her waddle to the kitchen.  I feed the dog, feed the cats, feed myself (cereal) and turn on my laptop.  I *may* pack a lunch for my husband.  Then I spend the next 8-12 hours on the internet, with occasional random (mostly dog-prompted) breaks for meals & bathroom breaks.  My husband always calls when he gets off work, to ask me if I need him to stop at the store on the way home (I always say no, feeling guilty that I had all day to do the shopping…)  Then I spend the next 45 minutes rushing around making it look like I actually did something all day…  I make the bed, wash the dishes while putting together a quick dinner, maybe throw some ingredients into the bread machine or some towels into the washer.  Did you notice what is NOT in my routine?  Shower etc., leave the house, interact with other human beings… it’s not uncommon for me to go several days without doing any of those things.

But today I’ve already accomplished much more than usual:  1 load of towels out of the dryer (not folded yet), 1 load of towels in the washer AND in the dryer, 1 load of sheets in the washer.  And I cooked dinner.  It’s only 3 pm, I could accomplish a lot more today!  I opened the stupid mini-blinds and turned on the lamps, and I’m eating Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies, so I’m starting to feel much better.  And perhaps this journaling is helping, too.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment