Monday, July 14, 2014

Life with long-term depression

Inspired by "22 Honest Confessions From People Struggling With Depression" I wrote the following "glimpse into a life with long-term depression."
Some days getting out of bed, and staying out, is all I can manage.  On a good day, I stay out of bed and cook dinner.  On a better day, I stay out of bed, cook dinner, and wash the dishes.  On a really good day, I stay out of bed, do some laundry, cook dinner, and wash the dishes.  On a great day, I stay out of bed, leave the house, cook dinner, and wash the dishes.

Leaving the house always means washing my face, brushing my teeth, and usually putting on clean underwear… things that don’t necessarily get done on the other days.

Yes, it is pathetic that my milestones are the things most people take for granted and do every day without a bit of thought.  But so what if I am pathetic sometimes?  Every bit of progress is a step forward!  Every great day leads to more great days.

Last year I was doing the dishes about twice a week (sometimes not even that often!)  Since we moved into the new house, I have done the dishes before bed almost every single night.  That is major progress!!!

Last year I went several months (3 to 6, I can’t remember now) without changing the sheets on our bed.  Now, every time I take a shower (which, sadly, due to circumstances somewhat beyond my control, is only once a week when we drive to the truck stop), I change my sheets and offer to change my husband’s sheets, too.  Yeah, we sleep in separate beds, in the same room.  In fact, my bed is a twin sized air mattress.  We are still “camping” in our new house in many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment